Loose Motions or Diarrhea can be caused by bacteria, certain medications, viruses, or indigestion. It can take 3-4 days to subsist, while a few episodes of diarrhoea are short-lived or acute. If left untreated, diarrhoea can turn unsightly, embarrassing, and even dangerous, so you must treat it. Many people turn to loperamide as soon as they have loose stools. Instead of relying on loose motion tablets, some remedies resolve the problem faster. It doesn’t hurt to try a few home remedies first without resorting to medication.
Here are some recommended remedies that you can try to get rid of loose motions quickly-
Drink Lots of Fluids
Dehydration is one of the primary effects of diarrhoea and can require emergency hospitalisation. Loose motions cause a massive loss of water, potassium, electrolytes, sodium, calcium, and magnesium required for various bodily processes. You must replenish the fluids and electrolytes by drinking plenty of water, clear broths, or an electrolyte-rich drink. You can try making a homemade rehydration drink using only salt, sugar, and water.
Avoid Food That Can Aggravate the Condition
Avoid caffeinated and sugary drinks, sodas, and alcohol when suffering from diarrhoea. Also do not consume beans, legumes, or vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower which can worsen the situation. You must also avoid dairy products and follow a restrictive diet.
Eat a bland diet commonly known as the BRAT diet to relieve indigestion. The diet consists of four foods:
Bananas – help restore potassium and prevent cramps
Rice – is smooth on the intestines and provides energy
Applesauce – gives the body the required sugar intake
Toast – is full of carbohydrates that work on loose motions
Gradually you can add baked potatoes, oatmeal, skinless chicken, meaty fruits, cream of wheat, and even rolled oats. You can add other bland, easily digestible foods as your diarrhoea symptoms improve. These are:
Rice water is another quick and effective remedy for diarrhoea. It hydrates your body and reserves the water in your body to prevent dehydration. It binds the digestive tract and hardens your stools. Boil 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water for about 10 minutes or until the water turns cloudy. Strain the rice and reserve the water for consumption.
This method is a WHO-approved diarrhoea treatment that reduces the problem’s duration and severity. Zinc enhances the immune system, helps the body fight off new diarrheal illnesses, and improves appetite. You must refer to a doctor at BLK Max or Max Healthcaregroup before you include zinc in your diet.
Turmeric is rich in antioxidants and antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, and just a pinch in warm water can help control loose motions. If you are already on medication, you must consult an expert at Max Nanavati as turmeric can react with other medicines and worsen symptoms.
Probiotics can be effectively used as a supplement that can strengthen your digestive system and shorten mild diarrhoea. Some dairy products like yoghurt contain live probiotic bacteria, which are highly beneficial.
What Usually Causes Diarrhea?
Understanding the cause of diarrhoea can help you avoid future attacks. Common causes are:
- Stomach virus is considered one of the significant causes of diarrhoea which can lead to severe loose motions, stomach pain, mild fever, and nausea. You can get infected with the virus by sharing food/things with an infected person or after consuming contaminated food.
- Hypersensitivity to certain medications can also cause diarrhoea. It can happen after taking antibiotics, painkillers, or cancer medications.
- Food poisoning occurs when you eat food contaminated with bacteria, toxins, parasites, or toxins.
- Food allergies – if you are lactose intolerant, you may suffer from diarrhoea after consuming dairy products.
- Artificial sweeteners in candies, diet drinks, or sugar-free products can lead to digestive problems.
Precautions That You Can Take To Prevent Loose Motions or Diarrhea
- You must frequently wash your hands and avoid physical contact with a sick person.
- You must disinfect frequently touched surfaces and try not to share personal things
- If you suffer from loose motions after starting a new medicine, you must immediately inform a doctor who may change the medicine or alter the dose. Experts at Max Healthcaregroup are well-versed with the problem and can suggest the proper resolution considering your health and current physical conditions.
- Always eat properly cooking food and thoroughly wash fruits and vegetables before preparing them.
When Should You Seek Medical Attention?
Doctors at BLK Max suggest you try some home remedies when you suffer from loose motions. Proper rest and following the above mentioned recommendations can control the problem. However, if the situation gets worse, or if you face any of the below-mentioned severities, you must immediately see medical attention:
If you suffer from intolerant abdominal pain
If diarrhoea remains for 3 days
If you notice blackish-green stool or if you have a fever above 102 F (39 C)
If you experience severe weakness, extreme thirst, or dry skin and mouth
It is possible to stop loose motions and get rid of diarrhoea without consuming a loose motion tablet. If you follow the recommended diet, drink plenty of fluids, and follow a good lifestyle, you can avoid this medical problem. Talk to your doctor if diarrhoea worsens or if you feel discomfort, despite following home remedies. The professionals at Max Nanavati will help you with the right medicines to quickly relieve symptoms and get rid of diarrhoea.