Each year the Government of Canada allows citizens of Canada and those holding permanent residencies over the age of 18 to sponsor their parents and grandparents to immigrate to Canada under the Parents and Grandparents Program. People approved under this program receive Canadian permanent residency and may apply for citizenship in Canada. However, sponsors living in Canada through study visa consultant do not qualify under this program.
In 2020, 10,000 parents and grandparents were invited to come to Canada. In September 2021, 30,000 parents and grandparents were invited to come to Canada. They were selected based on the lottery. For advice regarding immigration to Canada, get in touch with the best Canadian immigration consultants in Kochi.
Eligibility Criteria for Sponsors
In order to sponsor parents and grandparents under the PGP program, the sponsor needs to meet the following requirements-
- Age should be above 18 years.
- They should be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.
- They must live in Canada at the time of sponsoring. A study visa for Canada holders does not qualify for sponsoring any family member.
- They should have enough funds required by the Government.
- There shouldn’t be any legal cases pending against them.
- No non discharged bankruptcy.
- They should not have any pending immigration loan, bond, or child support.
A sponsorship agreement and an undertaking need to be submitted. The sponsor needs to take care of the family member for twenty years and repay the government assistance if the invited family member takes any. For further details on immigration, contact the best Canada immigration consultants in Kochi. They can guide you on how to begin the process of applying to become a sponsor and call your parents and grandparents to Canada.
To complete a sponsorship application, the processing time is somewhere between 20 months to two years. The procedure is as follows-
- The sponsor needs to submit interest to the sponsor form.
- Then they will receive a confirmation number.
- After that, the invitations to apply issued to chosen candidates will be sent.
- Within 60 days of getting the invite, submit your completed application, including all the required documents and the details of the person being sponsored.
- Pay the required processing fee.
- Then you will receive the application number and acknowledgement.
- Submit the remaining additional documents, medical exams, certificates, etc. if required.
- Once the application is approved, you can get the rest of the details about your application online.
The sponsor needs to remember that they must financially take care of the parents or grandparents. In addition, student visa for Canada holders need to be permanent residents of Canada to be eligible for sponsoring their parents or grandparents.
The PGP program is highly beneficial for students who came to Canada and attained permanent residency or citizenship in Canada. Indians or any other person who wants to invite their parents or grandparents permanently to Canada should take advice from one of the best Canada immigration consultants in Kochi to start the process. Parents and grandparents under the PGP program are selected randomly through a draw or lottery and can even apply to become permanent residents of Canada.